A school grows into greatness…
The Uplands Foundation seeks to support the Uplands 2028 Strategic Plan to ensure the ongoing sustainability and future development of Uplands. We take great care to support the Uplands purpose in creating a friendly, community-driven environment wherein all children are known and given their space to grow. The purpose of the Uplands Foundation is to nurture the spirit of giving, to raise funds and to achieve the following:
- To encourage excellence in all areas, developing interested and interesting young people.
- To attract a diverse intake of pupils, providing a valuable interchange of culture, experience and expertise.
- To broaden and deepen the level of community involvement, development and wellbeing.
- To leave a legacy and to ensure Uplanders remain connected to our school and willing to serve others.
The Uplands Foundation team takes great pride in working closely with the Uplands Heads of School, Foundation Trustees, UPPA (Uplands Past Pupil Association) and our Old Uplanders, the PTA (Parent Teacher Association) and our parents, our Uplands community, neighbours, supporters and volunteers.
“… be sure that every little deed counts, that every word has power and that we can do, everyone, our share to redeem the world.”
– AJ Heschel, Every Deed Counts
WHY SUPPORT UPLANDS?
Your donation makes a real impact on current and future pupils of the school. We are committed to making continual improvements to academic and pastoral facilities, to the provision for sport, music and the creative arts, to benefitting our wider community and, through bursaries, widening access to Uplands, to provide all with an education of excellence. Along with effective planning of fee income, we rely on the generous tradition of giving to achieve major developments. If you are able to, we invite you to contribute to the shaping of future generations. In giving, we also find our own meaning; the act of helping others does so much to develop our own sense of community and purpose.
“A legacy bequest to Uplands is one of the most worthwhile and significant gifts you can make. All bequests, of whatever type and size, will make a difference to the lives of young people for generations to come.”
– Mr Sean Carlisle, Executive Head
We couldn’t do it without you (your opportunity)
At Uplands, we ask for your support to aid our school in becoming Africa’s pre-eminent co-educational day and boarding school; a school that develops interested and interesting young people who are self-confident, happy and successful within an ever-changing world.
Significant progress has been made in establishing a comprehensive framework of fundraising opportunities that aim to raise and manage funds to champion the long-term sustainability, vision and mission of Uplands.
Under the umbrella of the Uplands Foundation, the main focus of current fundraising involves:
- Investing in our People: Raising funds for pupil bursaries and scholarships.
- Investing in our Campus: Raising funds to achieve our 15-year capital plan priorities.
- Investing in our Community: Raising funds for Uplands Outreach to raise achievement for all.
- Investing in our Future: Raising funds for the legacy projects that will ensure the sustainability of Uplands.
- Investing in your area of Passion: Designating your gift to an aspect of Uplands which is important to you!
We invite you to join us in building and growing the Uplands Legacy.
GIVING TO UPLANDS
It is our desire to grow our beautiful school and we invite you, if you can, to please consider a donation. All gifts, of any size, make a real difference. Your donation will immediately extend opportunities to our present and future Uplanders. Uplands is fortunate to have an incredibly generous community of past pupils and parents, and we hope that many will choose to support this exciting phase of our great school.
Uplands is a Public Benefit Organisation. Donations, therefore, are tax-deductible in terms of Section 18A (1) (a) of the Income Tax Act No 58 of 1962 as amended. Donations from overseas can also enjoy tax benefits. Please consult your tax adviser for assistance with planning your giving.
Uplands welcomes support from individuals, foundations and organisations and would be delighted to discuss ways in which relationships may be fostered with potential supporters.
Care and Respect
At Uplands we promise to treat our supporters with the highest level of care and respect. We assure our donors of integrity and accountability within our advancement programme.
“The Foundation provides a stream of carefully-stewarded financial support for key strategic objectives, through professional relationship-building and goodwill initiatives with alumni, families and other stakeholders within the Uplands community.”
– Foundation Trustees
We Promise that
- We will use your gift carefully and responsibly
- We will respect your wish to assign a gift to a particular aspect of our work.
- We will use unrestricted gifts for purposes that Uplands considers the best to advance its priorities.
- We will promptly acknowledge your support.
- We will keep you informed about the impact of your gift and about Uplands’ evolving needs and priorities.
- We will ensure that your personal details and donations are kept secure, and never share your personal data with other organisations.
- We will ensure that all our activities are open and fair, honest and legal.
- We will acknowledge any queries promptly
- We will offer appropriate recognition for your gift, and to respect anonymity, if requested.
- Baobab Tribute – those who gift more than R1m
- Rock Fig Tribute – those who gift more than R500 000
- Albizia Tribute – those who gift more than R250 000
- Pod Mahogany Tribute – Those who gift more than R50 000
- Paperbark Tribute – those who gift more than R10 000
- Kiepersol Tribute – those who gift more than R1000
Talk to us
Why is raising funds important at an independent school such as Uplands?
We aim to keep fee increases relative to the annual average increase in salaries so that access to a world-class education remains affordable. Our long-term aim is to use fee income solely to meet the running costs of the school. All capital development projects, bursaries and scholarships are to be financed through the philanthropic goodwill of our community of supporters. The Uplands Board established the Uplands Foundation to raise these funds.
Why is it necessary to raise funds for capital development when Uplands can raise loans?
Borrowing money (as has been done in the past) has meant that Uplands has had to service a large debt and had to meet this cost out of the fee income. Furthermore, the school remains vulnerable to increases in interest rates. The Uplands Board has sought to reduce school debt and fund all future capital projects from accumulated surpluses and funds raised by the Uplands Foundation.
Why is a bursary fund important?
Access to a world-class education remains a privilege for so few, and through our bursary programme, we are able to slowly shift this paradigm. Providing opportunities for young people to gain an outstanding education has always been at the heart of the Uplands mission. Uplands remains committed to transforming the lives and raising the aspirations of able boys and girls, irrespective of their means.
Through the bursary programme, we can continue to create a dynamic and socially inclusive community for all our pupils to enjoy, one that is representative of the world around us. From Old Uplanders to current Uplanders and the Uplanders of tomorrow, we all benefit from the generosity of those who have come before us – creating the Uplands we all know and love.